The Carlton Cinema (52-54 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1) we might be more familiar with was in 1938. There had previously been a 600 seat cinema on that site, also called the Carlton (architect T.F. McNamara) that been open from 1915-1936.
The 2,000 seat theatre was then redesigned in a minimilist approach to art deco style, by architects Robinson & Keefe and opened on 16th April 1938. The Theatre included a stage and dressing rooms as part of its original design.
In 1994 when it finally closed, the cinema had been sub-divided into 3-screens and then a fourth screen was added in space that had been the cinema restaurant. The Carlton Cinema was closed on 20th October 1994, with screenings of “Singing in the Rain” and “Rock Around the Clock”.
The site of the Carlton Cinema has since been the subject of court battles to redevelop the site and in 2003 was Compulsary Purchased by the city council to facilitate a new project on the site of the cinema and an adjoining area which has been vacant since 1976.
It is not known how much, if any, of the Carlton Cinema will remain. There has been no sign of development as of yet.
Reference Photo Credit: Independent News and Media/Getty Images
Unframed portrait print matt card.
Digitally printed on 350gsm uncoated white premium card.
Packaged in sustainable, 100% biodegradable clear flat bag and a recyclable back board.